Friday, December 8, 2006

Soylent Green (1973) / music by Fred Myrow



As promised, here is the score to the classic Charlton Heston flick (by the same composer who did the score for Phantasm, as if you didnt know).

The film was a 4:30 (afternoon) movie perennial, as were Heston's other early 70s sci-fi flicks (The Omega Man; the two Apes films Heston was in), so, even 28+ years after I first watched these flicks, I wont say anything bad about any of 'em, and I wont listen to anyone dissing Heston (and that even includes Airport 1975 and Earthquake). These were my first steps into sci-fi during my pre-teen years, and, as such, scenes Heston driving around a deserted Los Angeles in Omega Man, or the giant scoop loaders spooning up gaggles of people in Soylent Green, are just indelible images that fed my imagination and pointed me to the genre (first to the source novels for each of these films and just going from there). Oh yeah, and even at that early age, I enjoyed the inherent camp value of Heston's exaggerated macho.

Like the score for Demon Seed, this score for Soylent Green is not your ordinary score; musical passages (jazzy or symphonic classical) are often overtaken by passages of discordant notes/sounds. These scores for Demon Seed and Soylent Green are required un-easy listening.

http://rapidshare.com/files/6688945/soylent.zip.html

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We seem to share the same taste in cult films & soundtracks, I'm keeping an eye on this site daily to grab every classic you upload.

All your hard work is appreciated, I haven't commented on all the posts but have grabbed most of them.

Thanks a lot & keep 'em comin

Anonymous said...

Hi B.C.---

Your site is really great. Thanks for posting this. I agree whole-heartedly with your asessment of what i call 'The Heston Trilogy'---amazing films from an amazing time in Hollywood sci-fi filmmaking.

Keep up the great work.

All The Best,
Rocket From Mars

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot!!

I enjoyed the movie very much, and I'm very happy to hear now the ost!

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks a lot for the album. I wanted to post my favorite Heston film's soundtrack on my own blog after his passing yesterday.

Nice blog, by the way. You have good content. :-)