Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Ruling Class (1972) / music by John Cameron



This is my second VINYL RIP (and in 320kbs to boot).

I think you will find improved sound here over my last vinyl rip (The Boys From Brazil post way down below) as I discovered that if I simply turn up the volume on the stereo, the digital recording of the track will benefit.

Wisdom: it comes to us suddeny.

The (slight) down side here is that this LP was not in as pristine shape as the Goldsmith LP - on my Ruling Class LP, there are just a few skips to which a note of music or a word of dialogue may fall victim. Nevertheless, I thought this score was rare enough to warrant a posting no matter the less than perfect condition.

Gene Siskel (god bless 'im) put me onto this flick - I was a big fan of Siskel & Ebert (more Siskel than Ebert), back in Siskel & Ebert's glory days, when they were still on PBS. I remember it was Siskel who brought this to viewers attention, saying it should be rediscovered on video. And he was right. This flick is one of the funniest I have ever seen (if a bit long). Peter O'Toole was Oscar nominated for his pull-out-all-the-stops performance; he sings, he dances, he's hilarious, he's chillingly psychopathic.

The film breaks into spontaneous song & dance at the most unexpected moments.

The soundtrack LP features lots of O'Toole's dialogues (a great way for you to sample his performace) and the original songs that pop up. Highlights are O'Toole singing The Varsity Drag and My Blue Heaven.

http://rapidshare.com/files/7921111/ruling_class.zip.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, a great movie and a surprisingly good soundtrack, it's practically a musical. Also a nice surprise to see the link still working after 3 1/2 years. I guess people keep trickling into download it as they watch it on home video.

Anonymous said...

Could you please update the link? It doesn't work now. I'm longing to have this music! Pleeeeease!

Anonymous said...

link dead :(