Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Robert Altman 1925 - 2006



I was never an outright Altman acolyte; I've seen more movies by Altman that left me saying "Huh? Wha-?" (e.g. Quintet; somebody PLEASE explain the movie to me!) or just plain-and-simply bored out of my skull (Health; A Wedding; Gingerbread Man; Cookie's Fortune; Dr T and the Women, Pret-a-Porter - does it seem like I am picking on his later work?).

Nevertheless, there is no denying Altman contributed important vocabulary to the maturation of film during the late 60s / early 70s.

Of Altman's films, the ones I treasure the most are the stage-derived ones e.g. Secret Honor, Come Back to the Five & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean, and Streamers). Add to this (short) list Short Cuts, most of Popeye, That Cold Day in the Park, and, yes, MASH.

A new Altman project always generated anticipation as the release approached; you could never write him off. I was in London last year and went to see his production of Arthur Miller's Resurrection Blues. Alas, a few scattered good performances (Maximillian Schell was a riot) did not overcome a heavy-handed, plodding script (maybe Miller is more at fault here than Altman?). Side note: I actually brushed past Altman in the lobby of the theatre after the performance and apologized to him as I thought I might have bumped him too hard (I just wanted to say something to him; I couldnt exactly say that I didnt like the play) and he was quite cheerful in replying "No worries young sir."

A Prairie Home Companion was already on its way to me via Netflix as news of Altman's death started spreading. I cant wait to see it...

3 comments:

Vinnie Rattolle said...

Wow, now I'm glad that they honored him at this year's Oscars. Some of his films were too weird for words (3 WOMEN, POPEYE), some were overrated (NASHVILLE), and others were altogether ignored (COME BACK TO THE 5 & DIME). But ya can't deny that the guy had a sense of style.

On a related note, it's criminal that 5 AND DIME hasn't been released on DVD...

Elswinger said...

It would be great if you could post the soundtrack to The Long Goodbye. It was paired with Fitzwilly by Varese Sarabande as a mail order only limited edition and now sells on Ebay for more than $100.

Anonymous said...


Thanks for sharring importent information in this blog.
It was very nice.
Yazılı Soruları
Aşk Flashları
Cilt Bakımı