Friday, November 24, 2006

Death Wish (1974) / music by Herbie Hancock






I love Charles Bronson; I would watch him in anything. I HAVE watched him in anything, from the great (Once Upon a Time in the West; Citta Violenta; The Evil That Men Do) to the hilariously bad (The White Buffalo; Assassination; Death Wish 3; Death Wish V: The Face of Death) to the plain bad (Messenger of Death).

Death Wish (the original) is, of course, one of Bronson's classic ones; Michael Winner is such an incredibly awful director, its a wonder that the film works at all. Maybe its simply Bronson's presence that makes the film iconic? Witness: the final shot of the film, after Bronson has been exiled from New York, and he takes aim with his fingers at some hoodlums that he has encountered in what is now his new home city.

I will go to extremes in discussing the remainder of the Death Wish series when I post the Jimmy Page soundtrack for Death Wish II at a later date cuz I love those films just as much (if for different reasons - I mean, I am not going to try to siggest that Death Wish 3 is aa good film per se, but man is it fun).

For now, here is Herbie Hancock's funky score for the one, the only, the original.

This was ripped directly from an OOP cd (with the title Il Giustiziere Della Notte) to mp3 format, zipped and then uploaded.

Let me know how things sound if you find yourself downloading this one.

http://rapidshare.com/files/4708417/death_wish.zip.html

No comments: